Convert HEIC Photos on Android
Convert HEIC Photos on Android, All images taken with an iPhone camera are saved as HEIC files on iOS 11 or later, rather than the previous format, JPG.
The problem with this new format is that it is not universally compatible with other applications or devices. Thus, you may not be able to open it on your computer or Android smartphone.
Also, most native Android apps do not support this format yet. Look no further if you are looking for an easy solution to open HEIC photos on Android and even convert them.
What are HEIC files?
High Efficiency Image Container is Apple’s latest version of the HEIF (High-Efficiency Image File) format. You can easily find this new format if you are using an iPhone or macOS.
Simply put, High Efficiency Image Container is a new file format designed to improve the way you save your photos. This format will reduce the amount of data in your photographs while maintaining good quality.
A good thing is that images in the new format are almost twice as light as JPEGs of similar quality. They are, without a doubt, the future.
To open High Efficiency Image Container photos on Android, you need an app that provides such functionality and supports this new file format. For this tutorial and its simplicity, we will be using the popular Google Photos app and Files by Google. Both apps can be downloaded for free from the Google Play Store or may already be pre-installed on your smartphone.
Open HEIC photos using Google Photos
People frequently use Google Photos instead of the native Android gallery app because it comes pre-installed on the home screen of most Android smartphones.
You can use the Google Photos app to open and even edit High Efficiency Image Container photos on your Android smartphone. Follow the steps below to do it easily:
- Open the Google Photos app and tap on the option Library.
- Now locate the folder where you saved the HEIC file.
- Open folder (Downloadsin our case).
- Finally, tap on the image and you can preview it in the app itself.
Above all, one of the advantages of using Google Photos is that it gives you the ability to edit these files without much hassle.
Open HEIC files using Files by Google
Files by Google is a powerful file management application. You can easily preview and browse HEIC photos without having to convert them to JPEG or any other format with this app.
To open HEIC file with Files by Google app, follow the mentioned steps:
- If you are not using a Pixel device, you may need to download and install the Files by Google app from the Play Store first.
- Open the application and select the folder in which you saved the file (Downloads in our case).
- Locate the file and tap on it.
- That’s it! You can view any other file format in the same way.
If you are still unable to display the image properly, the only option you have left is to convert them to a different format. But no worries, converting them is an easy task as there are plenty of free third-party apps that can do the job. High Efficiency Image Container Converter is a simple to use app for our purpose, and it gives you more control over your conversion settings.
To download : HEIC Converter (Free)
Here is how to convert HEIC photos to JPG format once you download and install HEIC Converter on your smartphone:
- Open the app and tap on the option HEIC to JPG.
- Choose a file by tapping on the option Select fileor if you want to convert all images (in HEIC format) in a folder, use the option instead Select Folder.
- Locate the file you want to convert to JPG and press the button Convert.
- Finally, you can locate the converted image in the app or in the folder Internal Storage > HEIC to JPG PNG PDF Converter > JPGswhich you can find with a file manager.
If you want to send the converted image to other people, you can use the share icon in the section my conversion. Also, if you don’t want to install any third-party apps, you can use HEIC to JPEG online converter for free.
Easily Open High Efficiency Image Container Files
Although working with such files can be inconvenient, consider the fact that they serve a purpose. They drastically reduce the size of your photos without sacrificing image quality. So leaving your photos as High Efficiency Image Container is in your best interest, especially in the long run.
The good news is that there are a few simple solutions to convert your photos to JPG format quickly and easily. We have already mentioned some hassle-free solutions to view High Efficiency Image Container photos on your Android for your ease.