Police say they are working to “establish the full circumstances” after a woman accused Manchester United footballer Mason Greenwood of assault.
On Sunday video, photos, and an audio recording were posted on the woman’s Instagram account before being deleted.
Greater Manchester Police said it was “aware of images and videos circulating on social media”. Manchester United said the player would now not return to training or matches until further notice.
The club earlier said they “do not condone violence of any kind” and had been made aware of the allegations on social media but would make no further comment until the “facts have been established”.
Mason Greenwood has not responded to the allegations
Manchester United have said the club are “aware of images and allegations on social media” made by a woman against Mason Greenwood. Images and videos from social media show a woman with multiple injuries. Audio also appears to show an alleged sexual assault.
A statement from United on Sunday morning read: “We are aware of images and allegations circulating on social media. “We will not make any further comment until the facts have been established. Manchester United does not condone violence of any kind.” The Athletic has contacted Greenwood’s representatives for comment.
In relation to allegations made on social media, Greater Manchester Police said: “Greater Manchester Police is aware of images and videos circulating on social media. Enquiries are ongoing to establish the full circumstances.”
A spokesperson for Nike, who sponsor Greenwood, later told The Athletic: “We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation.” Greenwood, 20, is a United academy graduate and has made 130 appearances for the club, scoring 36 goals.
The footballer has also been suspended from Manchester United following the police probe, the club confirmed.
They said the forward will not return to training or play matches “until further notice” as it “does not condone violence of any kind”.
A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police said: “Police were made aware earlier today (Sunday 30 January) of online social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence.
“An investigation was launched and following enquiries we can confirm a man in his 20s has since been arrested on suspicion of rape and assault.
“He remains in custody for questioning. Enquiries are ongoing.”
United next play Middlesbrough in the FA Cup fourth round on Friday night.
Source : ESPN