Veggie Stir-Fry dishes are a delightful combination of vibrant colors, textures, and flavors that make them not only visually appealing but also incredibly appetizing. This veggie stir-fry recipe is not only a culinary delight but also a healthy and nutritious weeknight dinner option that’s quick and easy to prepare. Loaded with an assortment of vegetables, a savory sauce, and your choice of protein, it’s a versatile dish that’s bound to become a family favorite.
Healthy and Flavorful Veggie Stir-Fry: A Nutritious Weeknight Dinner Option
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
- For the Stir-Fry Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (use tamari for a gluten-free option)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce (substitute with hoisin sauce for a vegetarian version)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
- For the Stir-Fry:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (such as canola or peanut oil)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups of your choice of vegetables (e.g., bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, snap peas, mushrooms, and baby corn)
- 1 cup of protein (tofu, tempeh, seitan, chicken, shrimp, or beef), cut into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooked rice or noodles for serving (optional)
1. Prepare the Sauce:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice vinegar, sugar or honey, cornstarch, and vegetable broth or water until well combined. Set the sauce aside.
2. Heat the Wok or Skillet:
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or a large skillet over medium-high heat. Ensure the pan is hot before adding the ingredients.
3. Sauté the Garlic and Ginger:
- Add the minced garlic and ginger to the hot oil and sauté for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Stir continuously to prevent burning.
4. Cook the Protein:
- If you’re using meat or seafood, add it to the pan now. Cook until it’s no longer pink or translucent. Remove it from the pan and set it aside.
5. Stir-Fry the Vegetables:
- In the same pan, add the sliced onion and your choice of vegetables. Stir-fry for about 3-4 minutes until they begin to soften but are still crisp. You can adjust the cooking time based on your preference for the level of crunchiness.
6. Combine Protein and Vegetables:
- Return the cooked protein to the pan with the vegetables. Stir everything together to combine.
7. Add the Sauce:
- Pour the prepared stir-fry sauce over the mixture. Stir well to coat all the ingredients evenly.
8. Cook Until Sauce Thickens:
- Allow the sauce to simmer and thicken, which should take about 2-3 minutes. Keep stirring to ensure it coats the veggies and protein.
9. Season and Serve:
- Taste the stir-fry and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper as needed. If you prefer a bit of heat, you can add a pinch of red pepper flakes at this stage.
- Serve your veggie stir-fry over cooked rice or noodles if desired. Garnish with fresh cilantro, sesame seeds, or chopped green onions for an extra burst of flavor and freshness.
Enjoy your healthy and flavorful veggie stir-fry as a nutritious weeknight dinner option. You can easily customize this recipe by using your favorite vegetables and protein sources. It’s a fantastic way to incorporate more veggies into your diet while savoring a delicious, homemade meal.